Skewers of juicy chicken and sweet peppers – divine!
½ cup yoghurt
2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (or use 1 heaped teaspoon dried)
1 teaspoon salt flakes
A squeeze of lemon juice
4-6 boneless thicken thighs
8 small capsicums or 2 large, cut into chunks
Olive oil for brushing
4 spring onions, cut into 5cm lengths
Extra salt, and a decent grind of black pepper
Yoghurt mint sauce
A handful of mint leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
¼ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup thick Greek yoghurt
1. In a bowl, make a simple marinade by mixing the yoghurt, oregano, salt and lemon juice together. Cut each chicken thigh in half lengthwise and add to the marinade, making sure the chicken is coated. Leave for 15 minutes (you can also leave it overnight).
2. Heat the barbecue grill to medium. Thread chicken and capsicum onto skewers, brush with oil and place on the grill. Cook until browned on all sides – even charred in places, for extra flavour – and the chicken is cooked through. Brush with more oil as they cook to keep them juicy. Remove from barbecue.
3. Cook the spring onions on the grill until softened.
4. Blend mint leaves, olive oil, lemon juice, chilli flakes and salt to a paste. Swirl this through the yoghurt. Taste for seasoning and add more chilli, salt or lemon juice for flavour.
5. Serve skewers drizzled with sauce and scattered with spring onions.
Chicken thighs take more cooking than breast but they have more fat so are pefect for the barbecue – they’ll stay super juicy. If you don’t have metal skewers, you can cook the chicken and peppers on the grill and then thread onto wooden skewers to serve.